Thursday, July 7, 2011

Hoofprints Ancestry

Omar Sheriff, Grand National Champion as a 2 yr. old


I once asked Emery why they gelded Billy. His instantaneous response
"He wasn't stud quality!"
Since, in my eyes, Billy was everything beautiful any horse could represent, I was a bit taken aback. But as I look a bit closer at the only photo of his sire, Omar Sheriff, that I have, I must admit, he was probably right in his assessment. He did not mean to be cruel, just pointedly factual. Omar, as a 2 year old, took high point at the All American Horse Show, and this was among ALL breeds represented by 5 states... NV, CO, UT, WY, and ID. Billy took more after his mother, Beryl Belle, who was of the government breed Morgan.


A very early photo of Billy while still in American Fork, UT

No comments: