Monday, August 15, 2011

Hoofprints Leaving Virginia

 This day was as foggy and sad as my heart. After Gary finished law school (graduating 8th in his class, despite full-time clerking for ACLJ and being on law review), we headed for Phoenix where he took a position with ACLJ. I could've stayed in Virginia forever. I loved the grass, the trees, the incredible ocean, and more than anything else, my two very special friends of the heart, Heidi Larum and Martha Lupton (who lived across the street.) But alas, women seldom get to choose the local where they spend their lives (if they are married anyway), so after I had a dream wherein Gary's boss, Jay S. asked him what he would think about Phoenix and 3 days later, he did just that, we headed off for the dread domain of heat and cactus, dust, desert and a huge loneliness that has lasted 13 years. This photo still brings melancholia to my spirit. I left behind more than I realized. I do not even remember the journey to Arizona. It was apparently uneventful.

No comments: